Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A letter to my boys

My Dearest Gavin and Grant,

Please trust me on this. You do not want that box of cereal that costs 50% more than all others on the shelf. You will hate it. The contents will taste like sugar-coated colored cardboard. Just because Mickey Mouse’s face decorates the front of the box does not qualify the cereal as better tasting. Nor does it mean the cereal comes with an all-expense paid trip to Disneyworld with free time off school. Nor is there any magical device in its contents that will transform you into Winnie the Pooh in the 100-Acre Woods. In fact, there is no toy inside at all. Believe me, this box of cereal will sit on the shelf after the first opening and taste test while your favorite Golden Grahams and Lucky Charms make 3 rotations before I finally end up tossing its stale remnants.

While we are at it, just because that box of graham crackers has Superman on the box does not mean you will inherit x-ray vision, super speed, the ability to fly, or abs of steel able to deflect bullets. It does not come with any sort of superhero watch, toy, book, figure, pencil, flashlight, sunglasses, video game or anything else your imagination has conjured up. Having Superman on the box does not even necessarily make the crackers inside Superman-shaped. All it guarantees is I will pay the 20% more for 25% less volume than the same undecorated product box while DC Comics gets to shamelessly plug its latest rendition of Justice League. The same show that doesn't air until 6 weeks from now after your bedtime that you will beg me to watch every morning for the next 42 days.

By the way, the boxes once empty are garbage. They are not spaceships. They are not boats. They are not puzzles waiting to be cut into 237 pieces. They are GARBAGE meant to be put in the TRASH CAN. Please do not ask me to cut out Mickey’s Head for you to sleep with tonight so I can find it under your bed in 3 weeks and throw it away unnoticed. Please do not ask me to keep the box for you to transform into a bed for your stuffed animals so I can find it under the coffee table and put it in the toy box tonight, tomorrow, the next day and the next day until I finally throw it away unnoticed again.

Just trust me that I know what you like better than you know yourself. Advertisers are simply trapping you into falling prey to their latest gimmick. Trust me that I can spot a marketing ploy 100 miles away... oh wait…cool…look at that brightly-colored, well-lit display… A SALE......

KEEP BELIEVING

14 comments:

  1. SO TRUE! I still have to have that same conversation with my 11 year old every time he accompanies me to the grocery store! It just doesn't seem to sink in...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i refuse to buy those things. so far, so good...no delusions over here, from my kids!!!
    thanks for the site, btw!! i appreciate it...tremendously!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mean to tell me when I buy Cover Girl make up I am not going to turn into a cover girl?
    CRAP!!!!!!

    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny! My kids do this too - cut out or drag entire boxes with these characters on them to their rooms! These marketing companies sure know what they are doing - don't they? Cute post - take care Angie - see ya. Kellan

    ReplyDelete
  5. You TOTALLY nailed this post. The marketers evil marketing ploy works on kids!

    And IF they buy your letter, let me know and I'll send it to mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, we have this discussion a lot too. But I also don't practice what I preach. Retail therapy is just too good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy that I am not the only one that suffers from this.. My son makes me cut stuff out so he can carry it around for a day and then forget about.. But my problem is when I throw it out, the next day he is asking for it having a mental breakdown!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Last time we were at the store my kids asked for some frozen dinner called Kidz Kuizine. YUK!! It had a goofy smiling penguin on the box and they had seen the commercial on Nickelodian. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aint' that the truth! They won't listen though...they just won't!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LMAO! Gosh, I felt like I was reading my own words... too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LMAO. I remember being the same way when I was a little kid. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's great! Love it. Dylan's only fallen prety to Dora & Diego on the yogurt containers, which I don't mind b/c it has less sugar than the others. I'm sure as time goes by and he becomes more "aware" grocery shopping will be a battle. That's one reason to keep shopping at Trader Joe's!

    Hope things went well yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah yes, the marketing ploy. Back when Grown-up Girl was about 4, she kept begging for Raisin Bran (and she really wasn't a cereal eater, or a raisin eater). So I got a box. Remember how they say "you get 2 scoops in every box?" Turns out she thought she would get 2 actual scoops that she could use in the sandbox. Major dissapointment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oops. Today's the 13th. Yesterday was the 12th.

    So, I amend my comment to read:

    Hope things go well today.

    ReplyDelete

KEEP COMMENTING