Saturday, December 1, 2007

Technical Difficulties

You know how many people say if they had a fire in their house, they would make sure everyone was accounted for and the only thing they would try to save was their photos? Well, in this day and age, how do you do that when your photos are saved in electronic format? Yesterday, I spent the better part of my computer time (which is too much time) trying to analyze and possibly fix (ha ha ha ha ha ha) my computer. Our back up hard drive is unresponsive. This is really bad news for Brian as it has his ENTIRE MUSIC SELECTION (about 100 gig). It is really bad news for me as it contains every photo we have taken since March of 2007 - Disney, summer trips, graduations, Europe. You name it. If it happened since March of 2007, it is on that back up hard drive. No, there is not a single photo developed since I am not organized enough with my photos to have them in albums yet. That is a project constantly in works. And no, they are not backed up anyplace else since THIS IS OUR BACKUP.


We are going to have to take the hard drive to the computer doctor and pray that he can at least salvage the data on the drive. This is really bad for us. I guess this is my kick to start developing my pictures and get them in albums.


And of course, it couldn't happen at a worse time. I mean, this is the time that I would be perusing through our photos to find the perfect Christmas card photo (or one where both kids are actually looking forward. Who cares if they are smiling or have dried food on their face?) This is the time that my sister asks for photos for the family calendar. I was getting ready to load 2-1/2 years worth of family videos onto the hard drive (our mini DV camcorder crapped out last month and I am borrowing my cousin's to download the video. This is the 2nd camcorder we had crap out and NO, we obviously didn't have all the tapes backed up to DVD. We just bought one that saves to a SD card to avoid having hard media all the time.). So, when it rains it pours.


I am distraught. Sorry I didn't post yesterday. I was freaking out at the hard drive situation (which, by the way, is slowing down the performance of the overall computer). I was also thinking that on the weekends, I would only post photos or something small, if at all. We travel or have guests on the weekends here and there, so I would be unreliable. I know that many people don't get on the computer much over the weekend anyway. So, I was getting ready to search for good photos to post - HA! They apparently will have to be prior to March 2007 if I am going to post them.


Also, what do you think of my new layout? Brian and Grant's favorite color is green. Gavin is pretty undecided on a favorite color, but usually wants to be the green Power Ranger, so I thought green appropriate since this site is kind of dedicated to them. Fill out the poll on the right if you wish to let me know if you like it.


KEEP BELIEVING

1 comment:

  1. ugh! I have all of our photos and videos on an external hard drive that I call my backup. Not so sure of that method anymore! I may save them to DVDs as well.

    ReplyDelete

KEEP COMMENTING