Friday, December 26, 2008

Like father, Like son...

The year was 1977. Brian was in Kindergarten. His Aunt Joyce had come to visit as they were living in Hong Kong. Brian and Aunt Joyce were discussing his new abilities to sound out words and spell them. One such words was "dressed."





Brian: I know how to spell "dressed." J-r-e-s-t

Aunt Joyce: Actually, "dressed" is d-r-e-s-s-e-d

Brian: No, listen. It starts with a J.

Aunt Joyce: Ask your teacher tomorrow how to spell "dressed."

Brian goes to school and comes home the next day. Aunt Joyce eagerly awaits.

Aunt Joyce: So, Brian, did you ask your teacher how to spell "dressed" today?

Brian: Yes.

Aunt Joyce: And? What did she say?

Brian: She didn't know how to spell it either.


----------





The year is 2008. Gavin is in first grade. It should be no surprise that Gavin's first journal had this page for an entry.


Gavinese translation: ...the fish because the fish was dressed like a person and it was crazy to....


=======================




The year: 1977. Brian has mastered the unknown art of scaling the inside of a doorway. His mom captures this memory of it:







------------

The year: 2008. I show Grant the above snapshot from Daddy's lifebook. It should be no surprise that I capture this snapshot minutes later:









I can only pray my boys continue their likeness to their father as they grow up...




KEEP BELIEVING

16 comments:

  1. At least Brian climbed the doorway in more than underwear :)

    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like father, like son is indeed a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You crack me up! I loved the line, "My teacher doesn't know how to spell it either!" Your boys are sooooooooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when my oldest son insisted that dressed was spelled jrest. Your post brought back that memory to me.

    I continue to pray for Brian and you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, so cute. I have an almost identical picture of my little spider-man. In a spider-man costume. I love that you have the picture of Brian to show your kids. Mine never know what to think when they see me or hubs as a child!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful stories and memories. The photos are priceless.
    Keeping you all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son also spells the dr- sound with a J. Must be a boy thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh that is so awesome. I wish I had the gift of translating Little Sis's gibberish. But she's only 2.5

    Oh, and I used to scale the doorway like that, too.

    Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't it amazing how much our adopted boys resemble their fathers? :-) Hope you had a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that is just too sweet Angie!!

    Merry Christmas to you and your family. Hope you had a wonderful time, making beautiful memories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, very sweet. Happy belated Christmas too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've "ajressed" an important parenting question, but having 3 teens I can tell ya, genetics are in there whether good or bad, and there's not much a poor mom can do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was a great post - full of good stories.

    Brian was a doll when he was little.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year to you and may you be blessed beyond your wildest dreams in 2009!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, this post just made my tears flow.

    My prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

KEEP COMMENTING