Thursday, November 6, 2008

surgery...... Saturday?

So, the hospital FINALLY has an answer that surgery will be, AT BEST, Friday night and most likely Saturday morning. So, I, naturally, find this unacceptable and let the nurse know this:

  • We have been asking all day. Why are we finding out at 8:30 PM there will be no procedure tomorrow when we have been asking all day? What about the 3 other people that gave us indication it would happen on Friday? I went through every level of communication I knew to go through - called the DR. Office. talked with the educator of the floor nursing staff, talked with the head nurse of the nursing staff, talked with the Physician Assistant of the surgeon, talked with the Nurse Practitioner for the Surgeon, talked with the staff nurse caring for Brian on every shift. Told them we have finally come to terms with a limited life and want to spend it surrounded by family and friends and loved ones in OUR environment. Came into this hospital for what we were told would be a quick and easy procedure. Now Brian is going to be in there for 4 days total.

Then I was told to talk to the head nurse. So I explained this:

  • We have been asking all day. Why are we finding out at 8:30 PM there will be no procedure tomorrow when we have been asking all day? What about the 3 other people that gave us indication it would happen on Friday? I went through every level of communication I knew to go through - called the DR. Office. talked with the educator of the floor nursing staff, talked with the head nurse of the nursing staff, talked with the Physician Assistant, talked with the Nurse Practitioner for the Surgeon, talked with the staff nursed caring for Brian times every shift. Told them we have finally come to terms with a limited life and want to spend it surrounded by family and friends and loved ones in OUR environment. Came into this hospital for what we were told would be a quick and easy procedure. Now Brian is going to be in there for 4 days total.

Then I was told I could speak with a resident if I wanted. I said yes. They need to understand the decisions they make and the things they do impact human beings. Human beings with emotions and families and lives who are not working currently because of illness, so while this may be their job - this is our life. And then I told him this:
  • We have been asking all day. Why are we finding out at 8:30 PM there will be no procedure tomorrow when we have been asking all day? What about the 3 other people that gave us indication it would happen on Friday? I went through every level of communication I knew to go through - called the DR. Office. talked with the educator of the floor nursing staff, talked with the head nurse of the nursing staff, talked with the Physician Assistant, talked with the Nurse Practitioner for the Surgeon, talked with the staff nursed caring for Brian times every shift. Told them we have finally come to terms with a limited life and want to spend it surrounded by family and friends and loved ones in OUR environment. Came into this hospital for what we were told would be a quick and easy procedure. Now Brian is going to be in there for 4 days total.

And I was told all I had to do was ask a resident and I would have had an answer. And I was even angrier because if that is the case, why isn't the resident the one coming in and telling us the news? Why are they not more accessible? Why do they make the nurses do it? And why did I talk to so many freaking people today to get an answer to something that should have been a no brainer (no tasteless pun intended)

AND? AND! The schedule is full for surgeries that we planned for weeks in advance. So, this really should have been known and communicated.

We have been through the bureaucracy of teaching hospitals so many times. What I was trying to get across is that the too thick layers of communication should be transparent to the patient instead of fresting on the patient. It is not right. And I am tired of living through it. I am tired of dealing with medical language and terminology and procedures and delays and knowing more than a common person should know and knowing more than the stinking interns that come and poke around on my husband know and repeating myself more times than I do to my own children and getting no sleep and dealing with crap I shouldn't have to. You know?

And so my frustration now lies with precious moments we lost as family and friends and an entire DAY of time lost now while Brian sits there awaiting scheduling. Time that cannot be replaced. Time that has Brian surrounded by a medical staff and pokes and prods, and pupil checks, etc.

One thing I did manage to accomplish, though, is convincing the doctor to back off on checking Brian's vitals, etc. tonight. He is not the typical patient. We are beyond the point of unnecessary diagnostics and monitoring. Let the man rest. He agreed to this after I told him that "sorry just wasn't enough sometimes. The lack of communication was avoidable and that makes it more difficult to excuse."

By the way, I kept my composure very well and was able to calmly and cooly explain in a very rational voice and tone to each person our situation. I truly believe they all feel bad about what is going on. But, it doesn't mean I don't want to tell them to stuff their sorries in a sack. (the resident anyway. I actually feel sorry for the nurses.)




And yes, I will be calmer tomorrow. I have to stop writing these moments after these conversations. But it does give you a bigger glimpse into our lives. And why we wanted to avoid the hospital as much as possible at this point.

KEEP BELIEVING

11 comments:

  1. Ugh! I am so so sorry this is what you are dealing with today. I am so glad you were firm and told them how you were really feeling about the way you and Brian are being treated.

    I'm praying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you visited the blog I share with two other women, just to let you know you and your family are in my prayers and that you seem to be an incredibly strong woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angie and Brian,
    Our prayers are working in many areas,
    Praise God, that you are able to voice that what the staff needs to hear, so that they can start working as a team,in order that patients,the person a human being in the bed gets the help they deserve.
    I am so proud of you, after this very busy day of trying to communicate, We Praise God,we do know when the next procedure is going to take place. Brian is in a different room tonight away from the snoring, and so we do believe that he truly gets a good deep restfull sleep,hearing the voice of the Lord, saying, Keep believing, keep believing Brian, I am right here with you.
    Angie, believing that you will get a restful sleep as well, getting reenergized, refueled with words of wisdom for tomorrow.
    Good night, sweet dreams
    Love you Marjo (X) (X) (X) (X)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are being such a great advocate for Brian. I can only imagine how hard sitting in the hospital is for you and Brian and how hard it is to keep repeating the same thing over and over.

    I am continuing to pray for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for you all, sweet Angie. One of my favorite passages in the Old Testament is Habakkuk 3:18:

    "The Lord God is my Strength, my personal bravery, and my invincible army; He makes my feet like hinds' feet and will make me to walk [not to stand still in terror, but to walk] and make [spiritual] progress upon my high places [of trouble, suffering, or responsibility]! "
    Habakkuk 3:18 (Amplified Bible)

    Will be praying this over all of you today. Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kudos to keeping your cool throughout all of your talks with the various hospital staff. I would have lost it. Brian is blessed to have you as his advocate. I can only imagine how much worse things would have been had you not spoken up.

    Praying for you all...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blogs are for ranting! Keep writing, keep letting it out, and let it help keep you sane.

    Hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a good thing when valued "customers" express their opinions when receiving shoddy "services." In restaurants and such I always take the time to compliment good staff as well as the bad, so it's time the medical community begins to really listen so that positive changes can be made. Sometimes it just makes you want to scream for your loved ones, doesn't it? Prayers continuing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How frustrating!! You just keep posting about your frustrations as long as you need to! That is why we are here! You have to have an outlet somewhere or that "calm and cool rational tone" will fly right out the window! As always praying!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Give 'em hell, girl. It is your right to have things go more smoothly. I truly believe that there should be more sensitivity training going on in all hospitals. It is just too easy for them to get caught up in the disease and forget the patient. We are praying for a great outcome tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Angie, I wrote a answer to your Pollysdotter comment and lost every blooming word of it. I'll reconstruct it as best I can as soon as I have time.
    But I wanted to say that you have given voice to one of the greatest frustrations of patients and families in a situation like yours: time to you is not like time to everyone else. A day lost to you, Brian, and your family is much more than the loss of a day. That's one of the things I'd love to tell all the professionals who work with families like ours. "Time is our most precious and scarcest commodity. Please, please don't lose sight of what an ordinary day means to us."

    ReplyDelete

KEEP COMMENTING