Wednesday, November 19, 2008

good thing they make me laugh to make their comments tolerable

Grant vomited last night. Ordinarily this would concern me as to what bug or what undiagnosed ailment may be sweeping its way into our lives again, but Grant is dramatic. He is a candidate for easy bulimia one day. He can make himself gag and vomit with little effort when he puts his mind to it. While we all want our kids to be able to do anything when they try their hardest, this is not high up there on my list of potential achievements for my children. Anyway, he was having a coughing fit. Given our experiences last week with Gavin, this should concern me as well; however, Grant's colds and sniffles inevitably settle into his chest for a 3-4 day cough historically. He is running no fever and has no other symptoms. He was simply coughing so violently his stomach began to heave and he vomited and spit out all his phlegm (you're welcome).


Anyway, as I said, Grant is dramatic. As he was coughing and making himself vomit, he threw himself into a crying fit - screaming and carrying on making little to no sense. Through sobs and shrieks he said things like, " I need a bucket." Then as I went to get a bucket he said, "Mom, don't leave. I need you. I want you." Then he would heave again and say, "I need someone else." I would stroke his back and say I was right here for him. He would say, "Get Daddy. I need Daddy." As I would start to leave the room he would say, "I want my Mommy." Then he laid down and fell back asleep for about 5 minutes. He woke up coughing again and started to make himself hurl once again. This time between drama bursts, he would declare, "I don't want to have friends over any more," as if somehow his playdate earlier in the day was responsible for his current state. So, I asked him, "Oh, Sweetie, is it Christopher's fault you are sick tonight?" He shouted back at me, "NO! It's no one's fault. I'm gonna throw up all night long now. Mommy, there's something in my stomach that's trying to kill me." Drama king.


On another note, we went and saw the Radio City Christmas Spectacular starring the Rockettes Monday night. I now know what the best of the hight school and college drill team becomes. I was not optimistic that my 5 and 7 year old boys would appreciate their grandma's ticket for them as I looked around and saw the entire audience was pretty much little girls with their mommies or Senior Citizens. However, they loved it. The stars of the show were the Rockettes with Santa as a close second. Gavin leaned over to me at one point in time and asked, "Mom, Does Santa know I was in the hospital?" I replied, "I am sure he does. He sees you when you're sleeping and knows if you've been bad or good, remember?" He said, "Good," I asked, "Why?" "Because I will get an extra special present since I was in the hospital," Gavin retorted. Am I not the one who is supposed to use Santa over HIS head?



Gavin liked the show, but not nearly as much as Grant. Grant was MESMERIZED. He asked me after each act if it was over and I would reply that I didn't know, did he want it to be over. He would reply, "No. Not yet." Grant loved Santa and the set changes and effects of the screen and stage moving, etc. I prefer him to love the show for that reason. I know it won't be long before he wants to see the Rockettes for other reasons. Not long at all. If my 8-1/2 year old nephew is any indication, it will be about 3 years, actually. When telling a friend he was going to see the Rockettes that day, he was met with an inquiry as to what are Rockettes. So, he replied with, "They're a bunch of hot chicks with big thighs that do a lot of kicking."


images courtesy Google Images

KEEP BELIEVING

15 comments:

  1. Ok, if THOSE are big thighs than your nephew has been playing with too many Barbies...they have warped his mind!!!
    Don't we just love what comes out of our kids mouths...last week Carlee told me she likes to snuggle with me over Adam because I'm squishy...What!!!
    Out of the mouth's of babes...thank God for them being so cute...because that is all that is protecting them when their little mouths drop those great bombshells on us all...gotta love it!!!

    Still praying and believing,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you just looooove childhood illnesses? :) But at least you can smile. That says a lot about your strength.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you have time to go see the Rockettes! You rock! Glad to hear everyone was well enough to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One day Toot was using my boob as a pillow and I asked her "Do you think it's a pillow?" And her reply was "Ya, Daddy does too!" I couldn't say anything to that. Kids do say the funniest things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like so much fun!! I wanna go see a xmas show!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If he thinks those are big thighs I don't want him to see me in a bathing suit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Out of the mouths of boys! Too funny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always wanted to have a set of legs like those!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Angie~
    You have been tagged! Come visit me to find out what we're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too funny. Hey, Ang will you please email me? I must not have the right email address.

    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too funny.
    Ang, would you please email me? I must not have your correct email.

    Thanks,
    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad things are going well for you. I heard from others that the show was great - so glad you got to attend. Enjoy your weekend and hope to catch up after the holidays.
    Praying for you!
    Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh geez! My Daughter's Grandfather goes by "Big Daddy". She has lately started calling my mother-in-law "Big Momma". That doesn't go over too well! I am so glad you "spoke" to me today. haha. I have read your blog for weeks now and just haven't left a comment yet. Obviously because of my families past struggle with GBM I was interested but you somehow remind me of my mother. She is amazing. I remember her with a cell phone on one hip, house phone on the other and a baby monitor (for him!) She also always did her own "research" and realized that while they knew medicine, she knew him! I think it was when you said about the election that day "I honestly could not care less right now" I just smiled. She also adopted all of her children (5). You keep me laughing and praying (and believing;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. hot chicks with big thighs...okay that's hysterical.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Drama King Grant may have just found the perfect outlet for his skills! I'd get that boy into some sort of youth theater production stuff ASAP!

    On a more serious note, I'm not surprised that he kept pushing you away and then pulling you back when he was barfing. Sounds like you handled the whole situation perfectly. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

KEEP COMMENTING