Wednesday, November 5, 2008

KEEP BELIEVING

Just when I feel we are approaching the end....

Dr. K, the surgeon, called today. According to the MRI yesterday, Brian's tumor is unchanged. HOWEVER, there is a tremendous amount of fluid built up in the cavity from his prior resection. This fluid, he said, probably isn't draining due to tumor sediment blocking normal ventricle drainage. The fluid, he believes, is causing Brian to be symptomatic, and not NECESSARILY tumor progression right now.

He wants to put Brian in the hospital today or tomorrow (waiting for a scheduling phone call) to temporarily drain the fluid and monitor Brian's progress. Depending on that outcome, he would then do a surgery to help the drainage process (not really sure what it would entail) that he said would last about an hour. Most patients leave the hospital within a day or two.

He really thinks this is the best thing for Brian right now. Relatively easy with little risk, potential immediate relief and easy recovery.

So, we wait for the word on scheduling this...

KEEP BELIEVING

10 comments:

  1. This is good news - right. If they can relieve the fluid then possibly Brians symptoms would cease or ease - that is good. I will be praying that the surgery goes well!! Take care - Kellan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to post a commen this morning and your comments were not working for some reasons. I hope you guys had a good day - Kellan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just came across your story. I commit to covering you in prayers throughout this journey. Blessings on your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is good new Angie. Keep us updated as to how it goes. I am always thinking about you guys and you are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is potentially wonderful news. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh good your comments are back up! I read the first post this morning and sent lots of strengthening thoughts your way. I was so happy to read this update later.

    So here are even more prayers, positive thoughts and everything good for you and yours. Keep strong and keep believing my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am praying for a miracle Anything can happen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just found your story tonight, and will be with you on this journey . . . hoping, praying, and believing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Angie-You don't know me from Adam but I couldn't help but let you know that you, Brian and the boys are in our prayers. My husband Charlie, who also works for Caterpillar, knew Brian. You and Brian are true inspirations on what it is to "keep believing" and the different meanings it can hold. I have been fortunate to get your blog link and follow your inspirational and rereshingly honest journaling. Thank you for sharing! We are thinking of you all the way up here in Fort McMurray, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is potentially great news. Several years ago my aunt started having what they thought was either the onset of dementia or a tumor. Turned out to be fluid. The inserted a shunt and the difference was unbelievable. Keep believing, honey. You are going to get more time. As always, you're in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

KEEP COMMENTING