Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Next Steps

Today we went into Brian's office together to clean it out of personal items. He is officially on long term disability now and rightfully so. As with every step we have recently taken, it was much harder on me than on Brian.

Brian said some things to a few co-workers and gathered one box of personal belongings. Belongings that will probably sit in a box untouched for an indefinite amount of time. It was hard to decide what to say to each co-worker. Some of these co-workers are long time friends. Friends that are agonizing while witnessing their friend become more ill.


Brian and his Dad, who worked for Cat for over 35 years.

I took my first steps with reaching out to Caterpillar HR. They are compiling financial and benefit information on my behalf - life insurance, cobra amounts, pension numbers, etc. The financial impact of Brian's health on me and boys is my biggest concern. This concern is compounded right now with the economic crisis in our country. We have lost over 40% of our savings. We are also under-life-insured for a family of 4 with a stay at home Mom. My degree is in Engineering Management, but I have always worked in areas of accounting. Accounting has changed drastically due to the collapse of Enron, World Com, etc. with most companies demanding an accounting degree and CPA or CMA after one's name. Re-entering the workforce with a salary to support my boys in a job that doesn't require 10-12 hour days as a single mom, with the meager savings we have remaining and the 3X Brian's salary in life insurance (he was diagnosed 1 month after we were married making adding life insurance impossible) is the ONE thing (or many things, I guess) that grips me with fear.



I would be remiss not to mention at this point in time what an amazing employer Brian has had the privilege of serving. Caterpillar has treated Brian with the utmost dignity and respect. While dignity and respect are well-deserved by Brian, many employers would have shut the door on Brian at the first signs of his illness. Eleven and a half years ago, when Brian was first diagnosed, Brian had JUST been transferred to Denver with Caterpillar. I wrote of it here. In those three years, our medical benefits were outstanding. We had to wrestle with claims a few times, but in the end, everything was always covered. All surgeries, all second opinions, all treatments, everything. Caterpillar is self-insured. Throughout the years, as medical costs sky-rocket (thank you malpractice suits), Cat has had to cut back on benefit coverage - raising premiums, adding deductibles, increasing co-pays and out of pocket expenses. Each time, it has been in essence a pay cut for us due to Brian's serious illness. However, each time, the benefits are still better than probably 75% of Americans. We know we are blessed in that regard.



After 4 years of remission, Cat took a chance on Brian in 2005 when they offered him a promotion and a new job in Canada. We snatched up the offer and felt very confident that we were on our way to the next phase of life with cancer safely behind us. While that was not to be the case, I do believe anyone that worked with Brian the 2 years he was in Edmonton, Canada, would say he was a true asset to the organization and it was entirely worth the time and effort to have him there. He loved his job, loved the people, loved his products, and loved his company.



When Brian needed surgery in April 2007 and we were living in Canada, Cat was beyond accommodating assisting with an expedient move back to the States, transportation to and from the hospital in Brian's fragile condition, etc. Since then, they have always found a place for Brian in the organization. They have always tried to best utilize his skill set within his limitations while ensuring he stayed sharp and challenged without undue stress.


In short, they have been amazing.


And now, as we are unsure about the future and unsure about the timing of what may come next, they are kicking into high gear to do the leg work for me. They are once again, going above and beyond to make this as easy on us as possible.



Say what you will about big yellow, in my book, Caterpillar is one hell of a top notch company. I am honored to have worked there for a few years and I know Brian is proud to display the Caterpillar name across half his wardrobe.



Caterpillar is just one of the many blessings we have been counting lately. Today, as Brian packed his box, I felt compelled to acknowledge that.



KEEP BELIEVING

34 comments:

  1. My father had cancer when I was 8. He also worked for Cat and they WERE awesome throughout his entire trial. From one Caterpillar family to another, I second your vote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog through Classy Chaos and wanted to comment. I went back and read several of your posts and will read more when I have time, but wanted to say how much your story has touched my heart. Your stories make me think (and that's always good!) and realize how thankful I should be. My prayers are with you!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm here from Kellan's and will keep you all in my prayers. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad he has been blessed with such amazing employment. Please take what help they can give. Make sure he keeps wearing those shirts!

    Sending extra prayers tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I came over from Kellan's and just wanted to say I'm sending up a prayer for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure what else to say but we love you guys
    and pray for you ever day. It was nice to see you tonight and I don't rember if I told you
    that you looked nice tonight. Please tell
    Brian I love him and will see him tomorrow and we can re-schedule lunch for a differnt day. Have a great day tomorrow.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad that this company - one we have all heard of and respected through the years - has been so good to your family - there is a lot to be said for that.

    I have a very close friend that lost her husband about 6 weeks ago - he died too young of liver failure due to complications with Hepititus C. She is also very fearful of her future and yet ... she has lots of people around her that have come to her aid - people she never realized would be there. She is going to be okay and you will too. In the event you have the day come where you are on your own without Brian - you will be okay and people will ralley around you to help. Don't worry about what you don't have to worry about - right now.

    You are in my thoughts constantly. Take care - Kellan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Angie,

    What an outstanding company to walk with you during these years. I am so impressed by what you shared.

    I pray the Lord is holding you two close today. Anna

    ReplyDelete
  9. They sound like an amazing company and I am so glad that they have been able to help and be so flexible with you all! Those are the kinds of companies I wished we were all working for!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like God has really blessed you with Caterpillar. No matter what happens in the future, the Lord will continue to hold you in the palm of His hands.

    Praying in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  11. I started reading your blog tonight. My husband struggled with a brain tumor for 8 years, it is with a heavy heart that I read your blog and remember your feelings so very well. I had 3 young children at the time and am still 8 1/2 years since his death amazed at God's soverienty and grace upon mine and my children's lives. Cancer is such an ugly thing yet God can carry your family through this. I commit to pray for your family daily so very specifically for all that you are going through. Please feel free to email me if you need some insight(pgrit@colliervillepet.com), I am so very sorry your family is going through this. Paige

    ReplyDelete
  12. loren does construction so the chances of me having an encounter w/ a 'cat' are fair. if i ever do it will be w/ a full heart!

    BELIEVING and PRAYING!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad his company is taking care of you. Businesses lately have not done a good job caring for their workers. Glad that isn't the case here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope Cat's business is blessed in the same way it takes care of its employees. Prayers continuing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Caterpillar may not be done with you yet. My friend's husbands large business supported him in much the same way as Cat has supported your family. When he passed they found a job for her, a stay-at-home Mom who had been out of the workplace for many years. It is a comfort to here to work around people who knew her husband and nobody works harder for them than she does.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's it: Caterpillar is my new favorite company. I'm writing a letter!

    ReplyDelete
  17. CAT just became my very favorite company.

    I'm with Mrs. G. Let the letter-writing begin!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Angie, I can't imagine what you are going through. What an incredibly tough day. I am so glad that you have had such a great experience with Cat. (I wish I could say the same of Brian's company.) It must have been really hard to walk out that door. I know you are worried about the future, but God will take care of you. You are in my prayers, as always.

    Love you, Noelle

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just popped over from Kellans blog to say hello ~ I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.
    love and hugs XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm also from Kellan's blog, offering my support and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an awesome testimony. My best family friend worked for Cat and wanted my husband to work there (we were just married)...we also work for an awesome company that has been wonderful during my cancer process (13 years) and I DON'T work there! CAT is getting a praise letter from me. And I will be lifting your family up in prayer daily.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My husband has family members who worked for CAT also. They have had nothing but good things to say as well. I am so glad they are taking care of you guys and helping to make your life a bit easier right now.

    ReplyDelete
  23. A great testimony when so many companies in America are only interested in the bottom line. Thank God for Cat.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I read this quote on another blog in which a family's son is critically ill. I thought that since things are so "up in the air" with Brian, it may give you comfort.

    "Yet up in the air is a good place for things to be, really. After all, I cannot hold things that are up in the air. Only God can."

    ReplyDelete
  25. Angie -
    Cat is just one of God's many provisions for you and your family. I can look back in our lives and see how God has taken care of us through earthly hands so many times. He will do the same for you. I couldn't sleep from 3:00 - 6:30 AM two nights ago and sent tons of prayers up on your family's behalf. Must have been a hard day yesterday for both you and Brian (and all those who he works with). I will continue to pray for your family
    Marcie

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think it goes both ways. Even when he is not at his best, Cat is lucky to have Brian! For all the reasons you know so well.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Cat sounds like a wonderful company. I'm so glad they are doing the leg work for you!

    I am continuing to pray for healing for Brian and for peace for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. my husband lost his dad when he was young and his mom was underinsured but managed to rauise three boys who have gone on to be very successful in life (a dr and two vps of corporations). You can do it too: lean on people when required.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I came to your blog from Ohmommy and I just wanted to tell you that I am praying for you and for your family. You have a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  30. thanks for letting us know about what a great company CAT is. I always want to support companies that conduct themselves in such a great manner.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Keep Praying!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Angie, You, Brian, & the boys are in our thoughts and prayers. Love, Karla & Ben

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thinking of you and Brian today Angie.

    Just wanted to second your opinion of CAT. Even though Chet works for a CAT dealer, I too wash more clothes with CAT written on them than those that don't. They have been amazing to us too.

    Glad to hear that they are treating you right.

    Still praying...... :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Praying for you and your family and marveling at your strength and faith.

    ReplyDelete
  34. It's so nice to hear that there are still a few companies out there that really care about their employees...

    Thinking of you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

KEEP COMMENTING