Wednesday, October 14, 2009

how things seem to go in my life

I cannot tell you how often the most simple mundane events in my house evolve into complete disasters.

The kids were sick Monday evening causing them BOTH to miss Cub Scouts causing me to somehow find the time to make up BOTH events so they can earn the right to advance to the next level before the end of the year. Actually, they can still advance, but without the badge, and let's face it, they are in it for the bling.

I had to keep them home from school on Tuesday causing me to cancel the very first Bible Study that I am going to be leading.

Last night, I got my hair done, so grandma babysat for the kids. They did not do their reading and Gavin did not wear his protective garments to bed. Naturally, he wet the bed after batting over .500 for staying dry lately. Of course, I forgot all about the sheets until he reminded me around 30 minutes til bedtime tonight - delaying bedtime.

Today, I was not feeling well. Naturally, the kids had two days of sick energy built up causing them to be loud, obnoxious, rambunctious and half insane causing my headache to reach near splitting levels. And they missed the bus this morning because they were moving at record slow speeds.

This evening, Grant had a coughing spell that led to a gagging fit causing him to vomit a bit and spiral into a complete melt down freaking the heck out. And add to my laundry load. At bed time.

And then after bedtime, listening to Grant continue to cough, I decided to give him some cough medicine. He always requests a drink after ingesting said medicine, so I had him come to the bathroom to drink out of the faucet to save myself a trip to the main level to grab a cup. As I was giving him the cough syrup, he didn't drink it fast enough and it spilled all over his chest and left a splatter pattern on the carpet resembling a gory murder scene. So, I had a complete and total temper tantrum in front of my kids screaming and carrying on about how NOT ONE $&^% THING CAN GO SMOOTHLY AROUND HERE EVEN STUPID *&%$ SIMPLE THINGS. And I threw the towel I was using to clean up and stomped my feet a few times and then calmed down. Only to do it ALL OVER AGAIN when I realized that getting the cough syrup out of the carpet was a more daunting task than removing the paint I spilled on the carpet last week. So now I have an ammonia soaked towel that needs to be washed because I cannot stand the smell of it. Adding to my laundry load. At Bed Time. All of which could have been avoided if I had just gone downstairs for a cup of water to give after the medicine.

And I had to redo bedtime because I had to ask for forgiveness from the kids for the array of 4-letter words I emitted into the already ammonia polluted air in our house. All the while not feeling well.

Honestly, this is how my every day life goes all the time. I couldn't possibly make this up.

Like the time that Gavin came into my room in the middle of the night late this summer, and I had JUST read in my parenting book when your kids come into your room in the middle of the night over 75% of the time, it is due to a bathroom need. Instead of urging him to use the bathroom, I rolled over and invited him in. He fitfully slept the remainder of the night which meant I BARELY slept the remainder of the night. The next morning, he and my sheets were wet. Of course, we had someplace to be that morning, so I had to rush his shower and my shower. I had to wash my sheets and my mattress pad that I had just washed two days prior on the day that I had already separated a very neglected laundry hamper into 7 loads. My mattress pad is too big for my dryer, so I draped it over the deck to dry. When I retrieved it from the deck, it snagged on the railing. I had to spend 30 minutes pulling splinters out of my mattress pad that I had bought about 1 month prior.

It is in times like those that I struggle to find JOY.

And Grant is still coughing.

KEEP BELIEVING

15 comments:

  1. Uh, this totally doesn't help, but if you can find ANY way to laugh, it might make it all better. I often say, If I weren't laughing I'd be crying.

    Of course, if you laugh enough, people might put you in a sanitarium. But, then at least you wouldn't have to worry about the laundry, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel on days and weeks like this--but I have to believe there is one.

    I hope tomorrow is a better day for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you poor baby - something about all that extra laundry can send a person right over the edge. I know. I also hate waking up soaked in a child's pee at night - I mean, gross, right? And everyone's depending on you to take care of things, you'd think they'd make an effort not to give you the extra sheets to wash!

    Plus, you're probably coming down with something, which always makes a bad day seem even more overwhelming. But don't worry about the tantrum and the swearing, your kids don't expect you to be perfect. They just need you to be there. You're doing okay on that account!

    It's difficult though, when you know there's no one there to give you a break. You'll make it, but it is so hard right now...I'm sending you hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rubber sheets and prayers! Some days you need both of those things to see you through!

    Wishing I lived next door to you. I don't do sheets but I can clean a rug like nobody's business!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your family is still in our prayers. As a military wife I often have my three kids on my own while my husband is deployed. I know this doesn't even compare to what you are going through. Some days are filled with four letter words and I like you have to sit down and apologize. Hang in there and know you are an amazing mom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joy comes in the morning.
    God will find the path for you to follow.
    Pray.
    Your sister in Christ, Karen W. in S.W. Ohio
    Oh, and I had to apologize for four letter words to my daughter after he father passed too. How embarasing it was. VBG

    ReplyDelete
  7. I promise you are not the only mom who throws the occasional temper tantrum. Seriously.

    I like what was said about laughing about it all. Often times I have to laugh so I won't cry.

    May tomorrow be a better day!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Were we seperated at birth? I pulled out all of the carpet from the upstairs (white, we moved in with it that color) one day when the cat had vomited on it for THE LAST TIME. I despise cleaning carpet. My husband thought I was crazy. Imagine coming home to no carpet. And I remember being just crazed enough to think, "maybe he won't notice. He doesn't notice anything else around here." He noticed.

    And the swearing... well, I hate to admit it, but I sound like a sailor from time to time. But apologizing is good! I'm sure our kids will grow up VERY adjusted from our apologies, that or they'll have something else to tell their therapists.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, know that you're not alone. When I have days like that I sit my #^$% ass down and try to laugh, just laugh.. because you know what?... It is what it is. I accept that in that one laughing moment...and carry on. It helps!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One day you will sit down and laugh at this post. Honest. Just not today and that's okay.

    When I get over whelmed by laundry I take it all down to the laundry mat and take over about six washers. It all gets done in an hour that way. I just throw it in the trunk and take it down. It's actually a good way to wash and dry big things too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh. This stinks, big time. I am so sorry. I wish days like this were the absolute exception. I know it wears on you. And all this talk of laundry is enough to make anyone flip her lid. Thinking of you, my bloggy friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hang in there momma.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I completely agree with TexanMama at the top of the list of posts. Guess that happens because we are both Texans! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, this made me feel better knowing that I am not the only one having tantrums in front of my kids :-) (more than occasionally!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The paint that YOU? spilled on the carpet?

    ReplyDelete

KEEP COMMENTING