As with most circumstances in life with my boys in which I go with an expectation, my expectations were not met.
Here are some of the phrases uttered by either boy last night during the performance:
- Ugh. This is embarrassing.
- What language are they speaking? Me: “English.” What is English?
- This is WAY too much kid singing
- They KEEP singing the same thing (during How Great is Our God)
- Can I go to bed now?
- Are we standing because it is time to go? (during the only time they asked us to stand and sing with them)
- Can I have a drink from the shop outside?
- No. (When asked by the nice lady behind us as we were leaving if they liked the show)
- Mom, you better get your money ready this time, here comes that bag again. (I already had my money ready anyway. That was part of the reason I wanted to go.)
- Oh mom, do they know Jacob B? (a little boy in Gavin’s class adopted from Asia)
- Did they get new moms and dads yet? (after the video explaining that many children are left orphaned due to AIDS)
- Can I get baptized so I can go swim in that tank like that girl did earlier?
- 1,2,3,4,5,6…(counting the ceiling lights during the finale)
Somehow I thought it would mean more to the boys. I really did. I was wrong. Brian thought I was crazy. He was right.